Road access to Yellowstone is via five entrance roads, two of which are open year round. From the north, take US-89 from I-90 south to the North Entrance, in Gardiner, Montana. From the northeast, take US-212, the Bear Tooth Scenic Highway, to the Northeast Entrance. The roads within Yellowstone are open between these two entrances year round, however, access to areas beyond Cooke City, Montana, outside the Northeast Entrance, is closed in winter. In season, three more entrance routes are available. From the east, follow US-16 west from Cody, Wyoming to the East Entrance. From the south, follow US-89/US-191 north through Grand Teton National Park and the John Rockefeller Memorial Parkway to the South Entrance. The last access is from the west, taking US-20 east through the gateway town of West Yellowstone, Montana, to the West Entrance.
Below you will find an interactive map showing the location of each of the five road entrances to Yellowstone National Park. You can click on the map marker to get directions from wherever you are. Following this is the official park map provided by the National Park Service. You can view either the original PDF file (sometimes very large files) or a simple image file. The map links will open in a new tab. Note that while this map is useful for general navigation around the park, if you are planning to do any hiking, you should really have a proper Yellowstone Trail Map.
Below you will find a list of airports most convenient for a trip to Yellowstone, listed in order of distance. For each airport we give useful links for further information on the airport, as well as flight and rental car bookings. These links already have the destination airport selected for your convenience. For price searches, simply enter your origin and dates.
- Jackson, WY (JAC): 50 miles by car to Yellowstone (south entrance)
– More JAC airport information and multi-site airfare search via TripAdvisor
– Search all flights to JAC from your location via Expedia
– Search all available rental cars at JAC via Priceline
- Bozeman, MT (BZN): 85 miles by car to Yellowstone (north entrance)
– More BZN airport information and multi-site airfare search via TripAdvisor
– Search all flights to BZN from your location via Expedia
– Search all available rental cars at BZN via Priceline
- Idaho Falls, ID (IDA): 108 miles by car to Yellowstone (west entrance)
– Search all flights to IDA from your location via Expedia
– Search all available rental cars at IDA via Priceline