Yellowstone Fast Facts
- Yellowstone National Park covers a total area of 2,219,799 acres
- The number of people visiting Yellowstone in 2019 was 4,020,288 (All Years)
- Yellowstone was made a national park on March 1, 1872
- The lowest elevation found in Yellowstone is 5,282 feet at Gardner River
- The highest elevation found in Yellowstone is 11,358 feet on Eagle Peak
- The entrance fee for Yellowstone is $35 per vehicle per week
- Yellowstone National Park lies in the Mountain time zone
Random Facts About Yellowstone
- Yellowstone is the world’s first national park. On March 1, 1872, Congress and President Grant passed and signed the legislation making Yellowstone the world’s first national park.
- Yellowstone is frequently referred to as the “American Serengetti” for good reason. Every native large mammal survives here today. This includes bison, elk, mule deer, wolves, coyotes, pronghorn, black bears, grizzly bears, moose, mountain lions, bighorn sheep, and mountain goats. Many of these are frequently seen from park roads.
- Yellowstone is a huge park. It is the largest U.S. national park outside the state of Alaska, with the exception of Death Valley National Park in California and Nevada. Yellowstone is larger than Rhode Island and Delaware combined.
- Much of Yellowstone National Park actually lies within the volcanic caldera. Yellowstone is a super volcano. The caldera measures 45 by 30 miles
- Yellowstone contains the majority of all the geysers in the world. Boardwalk trails through some of the main geyser basins provide easy access to an almost unimaginable number of thermal features.
Where is Yellowstone National Park?
Yellowstone National Park takes up parts of Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho, with the vast majority of the land being in the northwest corner of Wyoming. The area is quite remote, but is very visitor friendly and extremely well presented, as befitting the first national park in the world. Everything is done right here. Further directions and maps can be found at Getting to Yellowstone.
More About Yellowstone
We have pages on all sorts of things about Yellowstone National Park. We have sections on Weather, Getting to the Park, Lodging, Camping, Thermal Areas, Road Guides, HD Video Clips, and pages to buy Books and Trail Maps. You could also check out the park’s Photo Gallery.
Last Updated on