This page may contain affiliate links. Purchases made through them sometimes earn us a small commission. This helps us cover the considerable costs of providing this free website, and it never increases your cost.
Theodore Roosevelt Fast Facts
- Theodore Roosevelt National Park covers a total area of 70,466 acres
- The number of people visiting Theodore Roosevelt in 2019 was 691,658 (All Years)
- Theodore Roosevelt was made a national park on November 10, 1978
- The lowest elevation found in Theodore Roosevelt is 2,240 feet at Little Missouri River
- The highest elevation found in Theodore Roosevelt is 2,865 feet at Peck Hill
- The entrance fee for Theodore Roosevelt is $30 per vehicle per week
- Theodore Roosevelt National Park lies in the Mountain time zone
Random Facts About Theodore Roosevelt
- On April 25, 1947 Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park was created, to honor and preserve Roosevelt’s legacy of land protection. On November 12, 1978 the park was elevated to full national park status.
- 400 species of plants have been identified in the park. Grasslands are the most common area in the park, composted mostly of saltgrass, western wheatgrass, needle-and-thread, and little bluestem. Rocky Mountain juniper is the most common type of forest. Hardwoods are mostly limited to the river areas, where cottonwood, ash, elm, and boxelder are found.
- Native mammals in the park include bison, elk, prairie dogs, coyotes, and badgers. Wild horses and longhorn steers in the park reflect the historic landscape as Theodore Roosevelt experienced it in the 1880s.
- One of the largest deposits of petrified wood in the United States can be found in Theodore Roosevelt National Park. An even larger, and much more accessible, display can be found in the appropriately named Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona.
Where is Theodore Roosevelt National Park?
Theodore Roosevelt National Park is located in western North Dakota. The city of Dickinson is the closest city of size. The town of Medora is adjacent to the South Unit of the park. Further directions and maps can be found at Getting to Theodore Roosevelt.
More About Theodore Roosevelt
We have pages on all sorts of things about Theodore Roosevelt National Park. We have sections on Weather, Getting to the Park, Lodging, Camping, and pages to buy Books and Trail Maps. You could also check out the park’s Photo Gallery.
Last Updated on