Channel Islands Fast Facts
- Channel Islands National Park covers a total area of 249,354 acres
- The number of people visiting Channel Islands in 2019 was 409,630 (All Years)
- Channel Islands was made a national park on March 5, 1980
- The lowest elevation found in Channel Islands is 0 feet at the Pacific Ocean
- The highest elevation found in Channel Islands is 1,812 feet at Mount Montanon
- There is no entrance fee for Channel Islands National Park.
- Channel Islands National Park lies in the Pacific time zone
Random Facts About Channel Islands
- Channel Islands National Park protects five of the eight Channel Islands that cover 160 miles off the coast of southern California in the Pacific Ocean.
- Land mammals on the islands are few and unique. The only native land mammals are the island fox, the island deer mouse, the harvest mouse and the spotted skunk. The island foxes and mice have further evolved independently on each island within the park. Bats are found here as well.
- The private conservation group Nature Conservancy owns and manages 76% of Santa Cruz Island, the largest island in the park.
- The five islands within the park are the following sizes: San Miguel is 9,325 acres, Santa Rosa is 52,794 acres, Anacapa is 699 acres, Santa Barbara is 639 acres, and Santa Cruz, by far the largest. is 60,645 acres.
- The Channel Islands are home to the most well-preserved archeological sites on the Pacific coast, with more than 10,000 years of continuous human occupation recorded.
Where is Channel Islands National Park?
Channel Islands National Park is located in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of California. The cities of Ventura and Oxnard are the launching points for trips to the islands. Further directions and maps can be found at Getting to Channel Islands.
More About Channel Islands
We have pages on all sorts of things about Channel Islands National Park. We have sections on Weather, Getting to the Park, Lodging, Camping, HD Video Clips, and pages to buy Books and Trail Maps. You could also check out the park’s Photo Gallery.
Last Updated on