Getting to Mount Rainier
Road access to Mount Rainier is available from several points. Some of the more minor access areas are closed at the park boundary, and most access is closed in winter. Most people access the park from one of three entry points. The first is the Nisqually Entrance, the continuation of WA-706. It is reached from WA-7 and goes through the town of Ashford on its way. The second is via WA-123 from the south, which comes off of US-12 and enters the park quickly, soon coming to the Stevens Canyon Entrance. The last is WA-410 from the north, otherwise known as the Mather Memorial Parkway. Only the Nisqually Entrance provides significant access to the park year-round. The rest of the park roads are buried in snow at least November through May, and sometimes longer.
Below you will find an interactive map showing the location of the main road entrances to Mount Rainier National Park. You can click on the map marker to get directions from wherever you are. Following this is the official park map provided by the National Park Service. You can view either the original PDF file (sometimes very large files) or a simple image file. The map links will open in a new tab. Note that while this map is useful for general navigation around the park, if you are planning to do any hiking, you should really have a proper Mount Rainier Trail Map.
Below you will find a list of airports most convenient for a trip to Mount Rainier, listed in order of distance. For each airport we give useful links for further information on the airport, as well as flight and rental car bookings. These links already have the destination airport selected for your convenience. For price searches, simply enter your origin and dates.
- Seattle, WA (SEA): 82 miles by car to Mount Rainier
– Visit TripAdvisor for multi-site airfare search and more SEA airport information
– Visit Expedia to search all available rental cars at SEA
- Portland, OR (PDX): 138 miles by car to Mount Rainier
– Visit TripAdvisor for multi-site airfare search and more PDX airport information
– Visit Expedia to search all available rental cars at PDX
- Vancouver, BC, Canada (YVR): 222 miles by car to Mount Rainier
– Visit TripAdvisor for multi-site airfare search and more YVR airport information
– Visit Expedia to search all available rental cars at YVR