Mount Rainier Fast Facts
- Mount Rainier National Park covers a total area of 235,625 acres
- The number of people visiting Mount Rainier in 2019 was 1,501,621 (All Years)
- Mount Rainier was made a national park on March 2, 1899
- The lowest elevation found in Mount Rainier is 1,640 feet at the Ohanapecosh River
- The highest elevation found in Mount Rainier is 14,411 feet on Mount Rainier
- The entrance fee for Mount Rainier is $30 per vehicle per week
- Mount Rainier National Park lies in the Pacific time zone
Random Facts About Mount Rainier
- Mount Rainier is a relatively young volcano, estimated to be about 500,000 years old.
- Mount Rainier is an active volcano. It has not erupted since 1894, but it will, some day.
- 35 square miles of permanent ice and snow cover Mount Rainier. On its slopes are the longest, thickest, and largest glaciers in the contiguous United States.
- Mount Rainier is encircled by the 90 mile long trail known as the Wonderland Trail. This hike typically takes at least 10 days.
- Mount Rainier National Park is home to approximately 54 species of mammals, 126 species of birds, and 17 species of amphibians and reptiles.
- Around 10,000 people each year attempt to climb Mount Rainier. About half of them are successful.
- The Native American name for Mount Rainier is Tahoma (or Tacoma), meaning “mother of waters”.
Where is Mount Rainier National Park?
Mount Rainier National Park is located in a fairly remote part of west-central Washington, but is still a relatively short and easy drive from the Seattle-Tacoma area, as well as from Portland. There are three entrances in the eastern part of the park, and one, the most used, in the southwest corner. Further directions and maps can be found at Getting to Mount Rainier.
More About Mount Rainier
We have pages on all sorts of things about Mount Rainier National Park. We have sections on Weather, Getting to the Park, Lodging, Camping, HD Video Clips, and pages to buy Books and Trail Maps. You could also check out the park’s Photo Gallery.
Last Updated on