Great Sand Dunes Fast Facts
- Great Sand Dunes National Park covers a total area of 107,000 acres
- The number of people visiting Great Sand Dunes in 2019 was 527,546 (All Years)
- Great Sand Dunes was made a national park on September 13, 2004
- The lowest elevation found in Great Sand Dunes is 7,520 feet near San Luis Lakes
- The highest elevation found in Great Sand Dunes is 13,604 feet at Tijeras Peak
- The entrance fee for Great Sand Dunes is $20 per vehicle per week
- Great Sand Dunes National Park lies in the Mountain time zone
Random Facts About Great Sand Dunes
- On November 22, 2000, President Bill Clinton signed the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve Act, with the ultimate goal of creating a national park. On September 13, 2004, President George W. Bush signed the bill officially creating the national park.
- Great Sand Dunes National Park protects the tallest sand dunes found anywhere in North America. The tallest, Star Dune, is 755 feet measured from its base.
- According to a study conducted by the National Park Service, Great Sand Dunes is the quietest national park in the contiguous United States.
- Sand surface temperatures can reach 150°F in the summer, more than hot enough to burn the feet of both people and dogs.
- Great Sand Dunes includes much of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. Since the national park is still relatively new, it is often easier to find maps and information of the mountain region than the park itself.
Where is Great Sand Dunes National Park?
Great Sand Dunes National Park is located in a remote area of Colorado, east and north of the city of Alamosa. It is part of the much larger Sangre De Cristo Mountains. The nearest city with full services is Alamosa, about a 30 mile drive from the park entrance. Further directions and maps can be found at Getting to Great Sand Dunes.
More About Great Sand Dunes
We have pages on all sorts of things about Great Sand Dunes National Park. We have sections on Weather, Getting to the Park, Lodging, Camping, and pages to buy Books and Trail Maps. You could also check out the park’s Photo Gallery.
Last Updated on